Due to the overwhelming interest in our homeowner program coupled with the ongoing pandemic, HFH Alamance is suspending our application for the time being. If you are interested in joining our homeowner program in the future please call our office at 336-222-8191 ext. 2 and leave your contact information. You will be contacted when our application period resumes.
Our vision is that everyone in this community would have a decent place to live, but Habitat’s path to homeownership requires hard work, time, and dedication. This in-depth process has proven to help ensure the long-term success of Habitat homeowners. It’s this success which our families know is at the end of the road that gives them hope for their journey to homeownership.
Our homeownership program prepares homebuyers for the various homeownership responsibilities including personal finance, budgeting, mortgages, home maintenance, curb appeal, neighbor relationships, and much more.
Homeownership Program Steps
- Review the program criteria below.
- Submit completed application and required documentation.
- Receive a visit from members of our Family Selection Committee.
- Receive letter accepting you into the program.
- Attend Future Homeowner Orientation Class.
- Begin earning your hours and begin the journey to Homeownership!
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have permanent resident status in the United States
- Have a current lease in applicant(s) name for at least one year
- Have lived or worked in Alamance County for one year
- Must agree to credit and criminal background checks
- Provide evidence of legal separation or divorce (or other legal releases as appropriate) if a spouse is not participating as an applicant
Habitat Alamance program criteria include income guidelines and we evaluate all applications on three principles: need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner.
Due to the overwhelming interest in our homeowner program coupled with the ongoing pandemic, HFH Alamance we be suspending our application process for 2022. If you are interested in joining our homeowner program in the future please call our office at 336-222-8191 ext. 2 and leave your contact information. You will be contacted when our application period resumes. Applications are below.
With your application, provide copies of the following supporting documents as they relate to you:
- Last year’s W2s or a copy of your federal tax return
- Two (2) most recent pay stubs for all adults in the household who work
- If Self-employed, submit appropriate tax documents
- Child support order and payment history
- Social Security disability benefit letter
- Social Security Retirement letter
- One (1) credit report for all adults in the household. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com for a free report. Print all pages. Keep a copy for yourself.
- Documentation verifying permanent resident status in the US (Identification card, drivers’ license or passport)
- Last months’ bills (water, insurance, electric, etc.)
Habitat Alamance considers applications with household income within a range that is determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD changes these amounts every year and they vary by size of family.
In arriving at total household income for the purposes of a Habitat application, applicants may include any documentable form of income: employment, public assistance, Social Security, disability, child support, etc. If you have additional questions regarding the income guidelines, please call Johna Savage in the office at 336-222-8191, ext. 2.
Our Family Selection Committee will interview applicants and family members to verify that your current housing is inadequate, unsafe, unaffordable, or unhealthy. You may also qualify if you live in subsidized housing.
We want our families to be successful homeowners so we verify their sources of income and history of paying their bills to determine their ability to pay a Habitat mortgage.
- Be able to pay an affordable mortgage (not more than 30% of household income)
- Have continuous and verifiable income for 12 months (this includes self-employment and non-wages such as child support, SSI, alimony, etc.)
- Make timely payments on all debts
- Clear all collection debts prior to closing
- All judgments and liens must be cleared at the time of application
- Medical: Must not exceed $6,000 and applicant(s) must be actively paying down the balance
- Delinquent: No more than $1,200 delinquent debt at the time of application and all delinquent debt must be paid off before application approval
- Outstanding: No more than $1,000 in outstanding debt at the time of application, excluding student loan or automobile loan debt
- Collections: Must not have any non-medical collections reported in the 24 months prior to applying.
- Judgements & Liens: In the event a judgement or lien arises after the applicant has been approved, it must be cleared prior to closing
- Bankruptcy: Applicants may apply 4 years after a Chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy filing, or 2 years after they have received a discharge in a Chapter 13 case
Applicants must be willing to partner with Habitat Alamance by investing at least 200 required sweat equity hours. Sweat Equity is time spent assisting with construction, attending classes and other activities throughout their homeownership journey.
Contact Family Services
Questions? Please email our Family Services Department at email@example.com. Contact us by phone at 336-222-8191 and select option #2.